Friday, September 15, 2017

Ask AunT




Dear AunT,

Q:  Can a woman’s sexual intent be judged by the clothing she’s wearing?

A:  This question always leads to heated discussions among both sexes. I personally don’t think sexual intent can be judged by the clothes that she wears simply because clothes can suggest many things to the eye of the beholder. 


I remember growing up, I wore skirts and dresses due to religious practices. I’ve always been curvy even as a child but most of my peers could still see the silhouette of my shape in my long skirts with a heavy lined slip and long sleeve blouses. So although I was completely covered, my male peers still had their own imagination and would often taunt me about my hips, butt, thighs, etc. I was even sexually harassed with these clothes (Little House on the Prairie look). So what was my intent then? None…..

On the flip side of this topic, women should take some responsibility in making sure that they feel secure and confident in whatever they wear. This means, if you choose to wear clothes that will bring attention to your body in a negative manner, you do have the right to not be treated with disrespect, no matter what you wear. I know this is not favorable among the seasoned generation because we were taught that it is our fault if men cat called or judged us if we are wearing provocative clothing. This is not true and it has been proven in many court cases over the years.

I think respect is the key…respect from others as well as for self. Sexual intent has nothing to do with what you are wearing.

Until next time, thanks for asking your favorite AunT….I’ll chat with you soon. 


Trinette Collier Green is a Certified Relationship Stylist
Submit your questions to: simplycindyblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment