Monday, January 22, 2018

Humbly Yours by Val Crawford


ABBA FATHER, Thank YOU for another chance. Thank YOU for a new opportunity to share with another about YOUR Wonderful Grace and Compassion toward us! And now FATHER, YOU be Glorified by the words that come from this pen - in the matchless Name LORD JESUS!

JESUS answered, "I am the Way and the Truth, and the Life. No man comes to The FATHER except through ME." John 14:6 (NIV)

The Honor of Being Invited into The Room

In August 2017, I was blessed with an invitation to attend the Inaugural Negro League Legends Hall of Fame Vintage Game. It was held at the Bowie Baysox Stadium in Bowie, Maryland. I am a fan of Baseball and it's history, so this invite was more than I expected. But then some things happened that I really had not anticipated! A few days before the game, I was informed that I was also invited to the VIP Room to enjoy the game! As if that was not enough, I was invited onto the field to engage with some of the players! Then (be still my heart!) I was actually invited to throw out a ceremonial pitch! It was amazing!

You may ask why all these honors were thrust upon me. Henry 'Lefty' Crawford played for a brief time with the DC Homestead Grays of the Negro League. And he was my grandfather. My 'PaPa' is the reason I had the honor of being invited into the room. Long before I was born, Papa played the Game. I didn't even know the extent of his baseball career until he was gone to Heaven. He never talked about being a baseball player. To me (and my siblings & cousins), he was just PaPa.

It was because of my connection to Papa that I was invited to the VIP Room and I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Sanders of the Kansas City Monarchs. All afternoon, each time I met someone - every time someone took pleasure in shaking the hand of or taking a picture with 'Lefty Crawford's granddaughter' - I was a little more humbled and honored at the same time. I was in the room not because of anything that I had done. I was invited into the room... because of him. I couldn't help but think, "Wow, this is nice - really nice."

Then my imagination reminded me of another invitation. I happily thought "This is probably how it will feel (only better - way better) when I get to Heaven. I'll be invited into The Room - because of HIM."

JESUS was so clear when HE said that our way to The FATHER is through HIM. When we accept a relationship with JESUS, we have immediate access to the Presence of The FATHER. We have automatic Celebrity Status! BUT let us remain humble - recalling to our minds that it was not anything that we have done. It is GOD's Grace and Mercy through CHRIST JESUS that we are invited into the Room ... Presented Faultless before The FATHER... Because of HIM.

Val Crawford
Contributing Writer

1 comment: