Sunday, February 26, 2017

Cindy's Featured Artist of the Week - Dennis

Owner - Chantel's Cakes and Pastries

ABOUT THE ARTIST


DENNIS L. STANLEY


Executive synopsis: owner; chief executive officer; sole proprietor; hometown: North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (USA); culinary skills experience: 46 years (have been baking since six years old); professional experience: 21 years; characteristics: esteemed culinary entrepreneur, creative designer, driven by passion for the profession, customer-oriented, public servant oriented.

In the beginning, there was Dennis Stanley. And, with that beginning, emerged a baker extraordinaire. For the time I am unable to remember, my mother’s kitchen use to be my playground. Being a stay-home mother, she spent an absorbent amount of time in the kitchen preparing our daily meals and making those delectable sweet treats. Barely able to walk, there I sat in my high chair observing the workings in the kitchen and paying close attention to how my mother worked her magic in preparing some of the best cakes, pies, pastries one could even imagine. Often reaching desperately to use my (own) hands to play with the dough and the batter, my mother would give me just enough of the contents to mimic her actions in the kitchen. Unbeknownst to her, she was creating a master of her own talent! By the age of six, there was no doubt that I was prepared to test my culinary skills by venturing out on my own. 

As I recall these early years, I would wait for my mother to leave the house to take care of some errands or to attend the Sunday service at her church. Knowing she would be gone for an extended time, I would begin my culinary adventure. Pulling out the mixing bowl and (all) the ingredients she used for the cakes, I would commence my baking. Based on my observing her, I will measure the ingredients using no type of measuring tools; just a mere porcelain teacup, the mixing spoon, and my hands and finger tips. With a little dabble of this and a little dabble of that, I began making my own creations. Once baked, I would decorate the cake, pie or pastries to perfection, and, of course, treat myself to the entire delectable delight. Recognizing that I was forbidden to be in the kitchen by myself, I had to eat all the evidence and return the kitchen to a normal state before my mother returned home. 

On many occasions, my mother would complain to the household how her baking supplies (i.e. eggs, butter, flour, milk, etc.) always ran very low or was missing. While the blame was placed on neighbors coming by to borrow a cup of milk or flour here or an egg or two there. Such deception did not last long.  One day, my mother arrived home before I could hide the evidence. She showed me the white of her eyes that I have never seen before, and she showed my hind side the feeling of her palm that it never had before. At that moment, it was a point of no return. Reprimanded to my room to contemplate my digressions, it provided time for me to reflect. It was then I realized that I could not give up my desire to bake, but I had to revamp my cooking strategies that allowed for a shorter preparation time that would accommodate by mother’s schedule. It was long before she understood what she was nurturing: a masterful culinary artist!

*****

Established as a leading small business for more than 20 years; reputable customer service and satisfaction, and respected business; known for its innovate delectable treats individually designed to customer specification; recognized for tailored baked goods for sensitive clients: allergy suffers, diabetic conditions, lactose intolerant, gluten-free and healthy-lifestyle conscious.

Reflecting on the birth of my daughter, it was then I realized what to name my business. There she was lying in the softness of a blanket as if she was perfectly decorated in the smoothness of fondant, a  confectionary icing used to sculpt cakes and pastries. Her skin glistened like the perfect baked layers of a cake, something any culinary cake and pastry maker would be proud. Her bright eyes and innocent smile accentuated her face, like the roses and decorative loops that embellished the most beautiful wedding cake. It was then I realized just the essence of her being truly reflected what I would call my business: CHANTEL’s (Cakes and Pastries)!

Chantel’s Cakes and Pastries evolved out of a personal hobby which initially started at a very early age as a way to appease an internal passion and to cater to the interest of a personal and local clientele. More than 25 years ago, in the 300 square foot basement of my home, I began testing my expertise in culinary baking. While working a full-time job, there were many evenings and nights dedicated to enhancing my baking skills and honing my creative talents as it applies to preparing cakes and decorating them. 

My initial customers were typically my family and friends who know of my talents and were willing participants in supporting my new venture. The cakes and pastries were prepared to personal order, which is very unique in a start-up business. However, customer satisfaction was very important; and the reputation of the cakes was very good. Of course, the local marketing stream (i.e. by word of mouth) added to the increasing popularity my tasty treats; and the demand became even greater. 

With the increased interest in the products, the challenge was balancing the demand of this new venture with my professional full-time employment. After much contemplation, I realized the importance of going with my passion to realize a dream that would now come to fruition. Interestingly enough, my personal hobby replaced my full-time professional employment; and it became the best decision I made in my life! Who would ever think I would position myself in such a way that going to work would allow me to entertain my hobby all day while making a living for myself and keeping Loudoun County residents’ palates satisfied with savory and delectable cakes and pastries.

The mission of Chantel’s Cakes and Pastries is to be one of the leading small businesses in producing and marketing the highest quality of innovative baked goods that meet and exceeds each customer’s expectation and displaying exceptional service to our customers. To be that leading business, Chantel’s has inspired a strong sense of integrity and trust in the quality of their products, while recognizing the importance of valuing the local community by giving back.

The leading philosophy of Chantel’s Cakes and Pastries is to ensure the customers find: Love at the First Bite! It is a philosophy that has come to represent the personal attention to producing our products. Each cake and pastry are made to the customer’s expectations. There are no ready-made products. Chantel’s offers baked goods that represent the tastes of home-style cooking. Our customers are assured the satisfaction that their delectable treat is created for their personal taste and full enjoyment. Chantel’s values the importance of each customer that enters our business and realizes that our customers are its best marketing tool. Therefore, Chantel’s provides great-tasting goods, aims for reputable customer service and satisfaction, and stands as a respectable business in Loudoun County.

Chantel’s has been diligent in recognizing the importance of customers feeling good about the business and themselves.  One of our unique offerings has been the ability to cater to a sensitive and often over-looked group of citizens in Northern Virgina: allergy suffers, diabetic conditions, lactose intolerant, gluten-free and diet-conscious. Tastefully, Chantel’s connects with the community by creating cakes and pastries that are tailored to the customers, to the community and to building relationships across the region.







1 comment:

  1. Chantel's is the real deal for cakes! Never disappointed!

    ReplyDelete