Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Model P31 Moms by Bridget McCray





Detour or End of the Road?

While on the way to teach a fitness class one morning, I was driving in the lane I normally use to get to the next highway. What I didn’t realize was that, due to construction, the traffic pattern had changed from the previous week. This meant the lane in which I was driving would no longer take me to where I wanted to go.

I felt frustrated because I’d missed my exit and knew I’d have to go farther than usual to get off the highway and get to the right path. I exited as soon as I could and pulled up my destination. The voice map said to turn left, yet my instinct said to do the opposite since that was the general direction I needed to go. 

I followed my gut, knowing there had to be an easier way to get to the correct highway and traveling in the right direction, which turned out to be the case. The detour took about ten minutes, yet I still arrived safely to my destination and was even 45 minutes early.

So…why did I share all of this? Life lessons, of course! I had to choose to:
1. Own the mistake (Having to make a detour for not paying closer attention)
2. Make the necessary adjustments, based on what I knew (General direction of my destination)
3. Follow my instinct (Actually, drive in the direction I “felt in my gut”)

As parents, are we willing to do these same things regarding our children:


1. Own the mistakes we make with them? Perhaps:
  • Not setting clear boundaries
  • Speaking to them as though they were less than human, in the name of “establishing authority” 
  • Ignoring them
  • Admitting that we’re learning too, and don’t always get it right
2. Make the necessary adjustments based on what we know? Maybe: 
  • Considering a change in our approach to communication to ensure they understand what we’re trying to convey
  • Discontinuing the notion of “that’s just how I’ve always done it”
  • Allowing them to respectfully have a voice
3. Follow our instinct? (For me, the Holy Spirit) 
  • Being willing to break traditions that are useless
  • Taking actions that may not make logical sense, but “something” inside says you should 

There is NO perfect parent on earth; that includes us. We ALL have room to grow, no matter the ages of our children. As long as we’re still breathing, there’s still time. What a blessing and a privilege to serve in this wonderful role, having opportunities to positively impact generations to come!

God has wonderful plans for His children for His glory. Be encouraged: A detour does not have to mean the end of the road! 
Bridget McCray
Contributing Writer

Author, H.E.A.L.T.H.: It’s Not Rocket Science (My Journey to a Healthier Me)

Available at Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com in both paperback and eBook formats!


Booking Information
Please visit www.bridgetmccray.com

No comments:

Post a Comment