Saturday, October 19, 2019

      Trinette Collier Greene 
                                                             








Q: I am married with a 10-year-old son from a previous relationship. My son’s father and I co-parent fairly well, including my husband. During my son’s weekend with his dad, he comes home to tell me that his dad has a new girlfriend who lives with him. I was a bit disturbed by this action however, I didn’t confront him like I wanted to. Should I or am I being extra?

P.J. ~ NotJustABabyMama

A: First, let me say that I am not a parent however, I have had many friends and family members to experience this exact situation. In the father’s eyes, he sees nothing wrong. He sees that you are married, his son lives with a StepParent and he’s fine. However, in your eyes, being the mother, you are thinking of safety and more. In your mind, you’re asking the question “who dis, Harpo?!” You need to know the details of this woman. Not only for safety but for support of your son as well. Is this a potential mate that he is planning to marry or a fling?

Honestly, I believe that communication is essential in these situations…purposeful communication. I would approach your son’s father in a nurturing and non-combative manner but yet firm. Let him know your concerns and request to meet her for your son’s sake. If this is a serious relationship for him, I believe he wouldn’t be opposed to it. As always, pray about it. 

Until next time, remember to laugh, live and love!

Love, AunT



Trinette Collier Greene is a
Certified Relationship Stylist 
and
Contributing Writer



Submit your relationship questions to AskAunT@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment