Saturday, October 22, 2016

Dishwasher Cleaning Tip....

Did you know this?  I didn't!

My dishwasher was leaving residue on my dishes and it was driving me crazy!  I'd either have to wash those dishes by hand or just re-stack them back in the dishwasher.  Most time, I'd re-stack.  ;)

I keep my food trap clean.  I rinse my dishes before stacking them in the dishwasher.  I use a rinse agent constantly - I couldn't figure out what was wrong and I didn't want the expense of having a repairman come in.


Every now and then, I'd notice that there was what appeared to be - grease around and on the trap. It looked like Spaghetti grease.  I didn't know if that was stopping my washer from performing at its optimal performance level or not.  I'd take it out, clean it but it continued happening every so often but the grit left on my dishes was almost daily!

I wondered if I could use Bleach in my dishwasher.  I decided to Google it and find out if I'd learn anything about that on the internet.  Sure enough, it was out there that I shouldn't.  Bleach will break down parts inside the dishwasher.  I continued researching and I found two tips that I liked from a very reputable site.

I read that before I start the process, I should make sure all the inside parts of my dishwasher are cleaned - free of dirt and debris. Easy enough, it looked spotless to me.  ;)  Then, I read that I should pour one cup of white vinegar in a cup and sit it in the top of the dish rack and let the cycle run.  I wondered how the vinegar would dump itself out into the water but I decided to "trust" the process... or so I told myself.  ;)

I got my measuring cup, filled it with one cup full of vinegar and let her run!  Doubt set in and I wondered if the vinegar was coming out the measuring cup so what did I do?  I opened the dishwasher to check after it was running for some time.  Sure enough, I could smell the vinegar and see that the hot water had splashed inside the measuring up.

I noticed that even though I could smell the vinegar - it was faint and the smell was very pleasant to me.  I immediately thought of lemons.  I didn't really care what it smelled like, I just wanted the process to work but the scent was an added bonus.  ;)

After it ran for what seemed to be - forever (I guess I never pay attention to it when they're dishes in it) - I decided I wanted to dump the vinegar inside the washer and let it finish up that way.  What could it hurt?

Anyway - I found that's a great way to clean out your dishwasher and stop the residue from residing on your dishes after you've spent your hard-earned money to run the washer for all that time.  No one wants to have to waste money by rewashing.

Another method I read about but I
haven't tried yet is - sprinkle some baking soda in the bottom of the dishwasher and let her run!  I'm going to try that the next time I need to clean my dishwasher out. This way, I'll be able to see which one I like doing the best.  ;)

I've shared this information with a few of my family members that never heard of it.  Now I'm sharing with you, my readers!  Share with your friends and family!  You can save money by doing this and save having to have a repairman come out and charge you for something you can fix on your own.

Cindy*

No comments:

Post a Comment